Recently I completed this 8"x6" watercolor of Dangrrr Doll. I took pics along the way so you can see my progress!
After sketching in an outline, I started laying in the darkest areas with a fairly dark value., though not the darkest one.
I continued to do this, while applying lighter washes to areas that were in shadow but not black. Some edges, like the feathers, I left crisp, while others I softened by adding clean water to the edge if the wash while it was still wet.
Here you can see I've applied more washes in shadow areas, but I've also started glazing texture into the feather fans.
Nearing completion, I focus on more texture all over, and including half tones on the skin and hair.
Some last minute details and unifying washes over large areas, and I have a completed little watercolor. :-)
Soon I will post a step-by-step progress of a negative space watercolor painting. I hope you enjoyed the pictures! Please feel free to ask questions in the comments section.